Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt5 Windows platform plugin location

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt5 Windows platform plugin location
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 18:07:25 +0100

Moritz Bunkus schrieb:
> Hey,
>
> on the systems I know (Arch Linux, Debian, Ubuntu) that offer multiple Qt
> versions concurrently the binaries are postfixed with a version number. On
> Arch there's qmake, qmake-qt5, qmake-qt4 with qmake being a symlink to
> qtchooser (which supposedly choses the correct qmake version for the
> project you're working on).
>
> On Debian there's /usr/bin/qmake, again a symlink to qtchooser. The actual
> binaries are located in /usr/lib/${host}/qt5/bin/qmake (dito for Qt4). No
> real guidance there.
> ​​
> Arch's method seems useful to me: install symlinks as
> ${MXE}/usr/bin/${host}-qmake-qt${VERSION}. Whether or not it makes sense to
> include qtchooser with MXE somewhow is not exactly clear to me, so for the
> time being I would suggest not to install version-less symlinks
> (${MXE}/usr/bin/${host}-qmake).
>
> It would be nice to have the other tools (uic, moc) linked like that as
> well, but as you've pointed out already that qmake's capable of locating
> the correct executes itself I won't insist on it.
>
> I can whip up patches for MXE's build files for both systems once we agree
> on a scheme.

I think it makes sense to provide some qmake symlinks
in ${MXE}/usr/bin/, and I remember that we did exactly
that some time ago (via the scheme "${host}-qmake").

Such a scheme would also simplify the tutorial
(Step 5c) a bit.

I'm not sure how to solve the issue of multiple Qt
versions either, but since Arch seems to be the only
system that uses some naming scheme here, it makes
sense to adopt theirs, hoping that will help to
establish some kind of standard.

So I tend to agree with you proposal of:

${MXE}/usr/bin/${host}-qmake-qt${VERSION}

Regarding the other tools (moc, etc.) I don't think
it is necessary to provide symlinks to those, since
qmake finds those automatically, as already mentioned.

Regarding qtchooser, this seems to be a bit overkill,
but I don't have any strong opinion on that.

Regards,