Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries

From: Tomasz Gajewski
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:08:20 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/09/2013, at 6:40 AM, Tomasz Gajewski <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm interested in having a build of packages with shared libraries
>> instead of static. I've seen in the archives that from time to time
>> this subject comes up and in the issue "Multi-target approach"
>> (https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/39) there where some
>> considerations about adding an option to make shared build available.
>>
>> Is there some branch with options for shared libraries build or with
>> multitarget approach taking into accound such build?
>
> There's nothing workable yet, but I was planning on getting qt5
> working first as a preview. Do you have set of packages in mind that
> you use for your project?

Currently I treat it mostly as an excercise but probably I could use qt4
and qt5 in the future. Let's assume my goal is qt4 for now

I've started with zlib and odbc++ as the are dependencies for qt4 and I
have some at least two issues open:

  - should we build packages with threads support - IMHO yes but odbc++
    was bouilt static without such support. I'm not even sure for what
    it could be used by odbc++.

  - try to build with import libraries or with direct linking to dlls
    (documentation says startup time for application linked in second
    way is shorter but there are some caveeats) - probably the safe way
    is to use import libraries

As about zlib I've managed to make build but using makefile dedicated
for mingw instead of that for unix systems. It needed less changes. I've
seen that line that blocked working for mingw of this "unixy" makefile
is removed by patch. Do you know why this implementation is used?

As about odbc++ I have a build but without threads enabled and realized
that I don't know if it is needed e.g. for odbc qt plugin working if qt
is build with threads support enabled.

I can't dedicate how much time I can spend on this subject (probably not
much) but if there was a place where shared libraries mxe would be
developed I could add my 2 cents from time to time.

Also I wouldn't want to make invasive changes if you have some idea how
to implement changes in core that would allow to have builds for
different configurations side by side like stated in "Multi-target
approach" issue. I think that core part should not be limited only to
shared/static but maybe other named variants.

In some other threads on mailing list I've seen something about using
pkgconf by project (I don't know anything about this yet). Would that
somehow influence development of shared libraries build. And if yes,
could you explain how it is used/it would be used?

Regards
Tomasz Gajewski