Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt compilation options

From: r . 3
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt compilation options
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 09:53:29 +0200 (CEST)

On 07/08/2013 06:24, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Hello,
have you tried to set

QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE

in file settings.mk ?
No.  Since recompiling everything is quite time consuming on my old
laptop, I would like to have confirmation that I'm doing the right
thing.

with mxe, you are likely to recompile things quite often, especially if you download updates from the development branch, called 'master' on github.
Maybe it is time to upgrade your computer :-)

Looking up the Qt documentation, I can't find anywhere a hint
that QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE outside of a compiler specific `qmake.conf'
works at all, so I'm a bit reluctant.

Similarly, there is nowhere a hint in the mxe documentation how I can
set additional compiler flags to get size-optimized libraries in
general.  Modifying CFLAGS globally seems to be a great taboo, and the
mailing list archive is surprisingly silent on this topic.  Since some
.mk files set CFLAGS the hard way (e.g. in `twolame.mk'), not allowing
for any customization, it seems to be unsupported, which is a pity.

everyone contribute to some packages, and things could be inconsistent. Feel free to update *.mk files, CFLAGS (you would need to modify Makefie and remove the 'unexport CFLAGS' I guess), and try! If you think you made interesting changes, submit your patches, and the team will be happy to consider them.

I fully agree that allowing custom CFLAGS value might spoil the
integrity of mxe due to probably nasty side effects.  However, it
would be nice if simple things like `-Os -momit-leaf-frame-pointer'
worked.

do you think '-Os -momit-leaf-frame-pointer' is an option that would be interesting of most of mxe users, as a global option? Or maybe you can add this in *.mk files you want, and submit patches if you think they are suitable for mxe users in general...