[Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt compilation options

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt compilation options
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:56:43 +0200 (CEST)

[mxe git repository from today]

Using mxe's unmodified Qt build, and linking it to my application, the
size of the binary increases from about 7MByte to 12MByte (after
stripping) if compared to a MinGW build.  This hurts.  I thus wonder
how to reduce it.

With MinGW, I've approximately followed

  http://www.formortals.com/build-qt-static-small-microsoft-intel-gcc-compiler/

to compile Qt 4.8.3 statically, using the following call to Qt's
configuration script:

  configure -release \
            -nomake examples \
            -nomake demos \
            -no-exceptions \
            -no-stl -no-rtti \
            -no-qt3support \
            -no-scripttools \
            -no-openssl \
            -no-opengl \
            -no-webkit \
            -no-phonon \
            -no-style-motif \
            -no-style-cde \
            -no-style-cleanlooks \
            -no-style-plastique \
            -no-sql-sqlite \
            -platform win32-g++ \
            -static \
            -qt-libjpeg \
            -qt-zlib \
            -qt-libpng

I assume that `-no-exceptions', `-no-stl', and `-no-rtti' really help
reduce the library size, while most of the other options are rather
unimportant for static linking (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Changing the configure options in `qt.mk' is straightforward, however,
the above link also suggests to change compilation options by setting
QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE.  How can I do this?

BTW, calling `strip' on the binary removes symbols from all statically
linked stuff also, right?

    Werner

PS: I know that I won't use C++ exceptions in my code :-)