Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] licenses and static and dynamic libraries

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] licenses and static and dynamic libraries
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:34:28 +1000

On 05/04/2013, at 12:29 PM, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

> [1] This is probably not the case with mingw-w64 where parts of it are under
> the GPL and will be in the target binaries. The mingw.org project has a
> public domain licence.

Interesting extra requirements for mingw-w64 [1]:

"In addition to the notices in this file, also the notices in
COPYING.MinGW-w64-runtime.txt apply to MinGW-w64. Some (possibly
all) notices in that file may apply also to the binaries built with
this version of MinGW-w64. The idea is that if you create binary
packages of your software with MinGW-w64, you can simply copy
COPYING.MinGW-w64-runtime.txt into your package to fulfill the
license requirements of the MinGW runtime."

And from the runtime licences file [2]:

"This program or library was built using MinGW-w64 and statically
linked against the MinGW-w64 runtime. Some parts of the runtime
are under licenses which require that the copyright and license
notices are included when distributing the code in binary form.
These notices are listed below."

I'm reasonably sure that the second notice applies to all uses of mingw-w64,
regardless of how the final shipping binary is linked.

[1]
http://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw-w64/trunk/COPYING.MinGW-w64/COPYING.MinGW-w64.txt
[2]
http://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw-w64/trunk/COPYING.MinGW-w64-runtime/COPYING.MinGW-w64-runtime.txt