Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)

From: Peter Rockett
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 10:32:12 +0100

On 30/03/13 23:18, Mark Brand wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - the development version does seem a little
more up to date but gsl is still at 1.14 despite gsl 1.1.5 being
released in May 2011. So quite a time lag between updates?
Ulrich has just updated gsl, so thanks to him for that.

Great! Thanks, indeed. But "make update PKGS=gsl" (as previously advised by Ulrich) still reports gsl 1.14 so presumably this only updates against the stable version? Is "git pull" what I want in order to update the development version? (The "Download" page on the MXE website is not very clear on this... I don't use git.) If so, I screwed up my install by running "make update" - it's demanded a commit of index.html (of the not very helpful changes). Managed to recover - I think - by deleting index.html and running git pull again. Net upshot: Does make update not work properly on the development branch?

Of greater
immediate interest, in the development version there is Qt 4.8.4, or all
the Qt components can be installed separately as 5.0.2. So the inference
is if I install the full Qt package I get 4.8.4 but if I install Qt by
components I get 5.02.  Something wrong here surely?
Nothing is wrong. Qt 4 source code is one monolithic git repo and distributed
as single tarball. Modularization was introduced in Qt 5. In MXE, the "qt"
package is Qt 4 simply because it was there first. When the Qt 5 was added to
MXE, the separate modules meant that there was no name clash with the existing
"qt" package. Qt 4 and Qt 5 are installed to seperated directories in MXE,
"qt" and "qt5" respectively, so they can happily co-exist.

Since my last post, I had a rummage around Qt's git repository and realised they had changed the packaging for myself. They offer completely empty qt5 tarballs! But thanks anyway.

Peter