Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions

From: Peter Rockett
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:44:28 +0000

On 30/03/13 12:09, Mark Brand wrote:
Peter Rockett wrote:
Hi

Newbie question - but...

I have used MXE only once before - massively impressed! Great job, guys!

I now want to start a new Qt project which I want to cross-build but the MXE Qt package version is 4.8.1 whereas the latest version (which I have downloaded for Linux) is 5.0.1, a major version increment. (Also, gsl is 1.14 as opposed to 1.15 but that's a minor issue. Quite a few other libs seem 'out-of-date'.) My question: How do I upgrade to the latest version(s) of packages?

Hi Peter,

Don't use the "stable" version for new work because it's hopelessly out of date. Use the "development" version which is the git master branch. See the website for details. You'll find very recent package versions there and it's actually pretty stable. If you run into problems, ask here, or preferably on the github site.

regards,

Mark
Thanks for the suggestion - the development version does seem a little more up to date but gsl is still at 1.14 despite gsl 1.1.5 being released in May 2011. So quite a time lag between updates? Of greater immediate interest, in the development version there is Qt 4.8.4, or all the Qt components can be installed separately as 5.0.2. So the inference is if I install the full Qt package I get 4.8.4 but if I install Qt by components I get 5.02. Something wrong here surely? (BTW: I cannot find QtSvg 5.0.2, for example, on the Digia git site, only version 5.0.1 and then 5.1.0.)

So. My question remains. How is it possible to install the latest versions of packages? Where does the *.mk file get the VERSION variable? Is this parsed from the local index.html file? In which case, if I edit the index.html file, will I get the required version? Or have I got this completely wrong?

Peter