[Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE, Shared QT builds, and Freetype

From: Jeremy Salwen
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE, Shared QT builds, and Freetype
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 09:57:15 -0500

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a shared version of QT based on the MXE setup.  I've actually made quite a bit of progress, and I've been able to convert all of the required packages for qtbase into shared builds that compile and install correctly. If I get it working, I'll put the changes up on github.

However, when I try to compile a shared build of qtbase, I get errors resolving symbols in libfreetype (see the attached build log).  From what I can tell, qt is simply forgetting to add the flag -lfreetype when compiling qwindows.dll , as qbasicfontdatabase.cpp (which compiles into qwindows.ll) uses functions defined in libfreetype. Unfortunately, the ./configure script seems to be oblivious of any options involving freetype, and greets -no-freeetype -system-freetype, and -qt-freetype with the same "invalid command-line switch".

When I asked in the QT IRC channel, I was questioned why I was building QT on windows with freetype, which I'm not sure about.  Why does MXE build QT with freetype?

Thanks,
Jeremy