Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Building x86_64 binaries for Windows

From: William
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Building x86_64 binaries for Windows
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 22:54:48 +0100

Tony,
I wish you a happy new year !

On 01/05/2013 09:41 AM, Tony Theodore wrote:
On 03/01/2013, at 10:16 AM, William <address@hidden> wrote:

Also, I know this is old debate, why not switch to mingw-w64 ?
Hi William,

There are:

$ grep -l 'BUILD.*w64-mingw32 =$' src/*.mk | wc -l
       48

excluded mingw-w64 packages, we couldn't switch entirely over until those are
all building flawlessly.
I think you will never reach a state were all packages build flawlessly for mingw-w64 (because you are on your own for this fork I guess). Once a reasonnable number of packages is operationnal, you should definitly switch.

I think that having mingw-w64 by default in mxe master branch would :
- encourage people to make it work
- increase the number of people interested in mxe (and potential contributors)

Also, it is still possible to propose a method to revert to non default mingw.org build ?

  Most of the ocaml-* packages won't build for me
ocaml-packages do not build for you ? (what is the problem ?)
or they do not build without ocaml-native ? (which is "normal", as some packages refere to native tools with full path in mxe/usr directory) or they do not build on mingw-w64 ?(which is strange, I remember testing it, not fully, with mingw-w64)
(ocaml-native does, but I've excluded it since it takes a long time to build
and it's dependents need some work). Can you take a look at updating these
(there's a new version 4.00.1) and getting them to work with mingw-w64? Use
either of the experimental branches [1][2], any package build rules that change
will be equally applicable no matter how we proceed with the multi-target
approach.
if I make changes (like 4.00.1 upgrades), or update build instructions, shouldn't I do them in the mxe master branch?
If I make them in your fork, it would not be in the master mxe...

Another thing that would greatly help any new targets being supported is test
programs - a passing build doesn't mean that packages are actually working
correctly.
there are test programs for ocaml packages
Thanks,

Tony

[1] https://github.com/tonytheodore/mxe/tree/multi-target
[2] https://github.com/tonytheodore/mxe/tree/multi-rebase