Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Mingw in a production environment

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Mingw in a production environment
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:57:56 +1000

On 16/09/2012, at 9:18 PM, Daniel Stonier <address@hidden> wrote:

On 12 September 2012 21:53, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

On 15/08/2012, at 9:17 PM, Daniel Stonier <address@hidden> wrote:

> To fix 2) I can't see any other way than to take control of the problem and maintain a server and mirrors where we collect sources. Ultimately any linux platform has to do this for their own packages and I don't consider mxe being that much different from a full distro as it grows. I suspect the best plan would be to contact universities who host various open source repositories and see if they would be willing to host mirrors for mxe as well.

Hi Daniel,

I've set up a micro instance on EC2 that pulls the repo every hour, downloads packages, and syncs them to S3:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mxe-pkg/

This coupled with its usage as a fallback looks great. Is this a permanent solution or is it running off the amazon free tier usage (free for a year?). I am wondering if this works well, we should try and find  permanent hosts.

It's on the free tier, but if it works as an approach, I'm happy to keep it going (time is more constrained than money atm!). I really think it's only the smaller packages that will ever need to fall back. The long term solution might be to fetch a current package manifest, but the fallback is probably useful.

I'm guessing this should fall into the free tier as most of the larger projects (qt, gcc) seem to have good infrastructure - and this is only intended as a tertiary fallback. How many releases back do you think we need to keep?

As much as there is space for storing old archives on the mirrors I guess. Exactly how much space does a full release of archives take up? I don't expect the storage space will grow as much as linearly as packages upgrade at different rates.

It's just under 1GB, so if the rest of the internet goes down, it will cost 12 cents from S3 or 19 cents from the CDN.