Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OSX SDKs (was Separate build rules)

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OSX SDKs (was Separate build rules)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 22:45:41 +0200

Hi,

sorry to bring up this rather old thread... I think I have some bad
news with regard to this subject :-(.

> Apple recently unbundled the SDKs (and Unix tools) from Xcode [1].
> This is a much smaller download, but may be 10.7 only.

These "command line code for xcode" are missing important stuff
required for cross compiling. Well, at least I could not make it work
:-( even libc.dylib seems to be missing.

To get the complete SDK which is usable you need to download xcode.
With that, I was able to cross compile a "hello world" test
application.

But there is a serious problem: The xcode license.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/xcode.pdf
The main issue:
"Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted
a limited, nonexclusive license to use the Developer Software on
Apple-branded computers to develop and test application and other
software."

Mark the words "Apple-branded computers". Since the SDK is part of
xcode... This means (to my knowledge, I am not a lawyer): You can only
use cross compiling with this SDK if you install e.g. Linux on an
Apple computer and then cross compile for Mac OS. Other usage would
technically be violating the license.

Regards,
Lothar