[Mingw-cross-env-list] cross-compiler for linux (?)

From: Alois Schlögl
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] cross-compiler for linux (?)
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 22:56:07 +0200

Recently, I've tested Tony's mxe, which supports multiple targets (i686-static, i686-dynamic, and x86_64-static). It looks very good and both static version are working fine for me. I'm wondering how easy it would be to include support for other target, I'm thinking about an experimental gnu/linux target.

I hear you asking why would one like to do that. The advantage would be to have simple cross-compiler framework, that works with more recent software than installed on a typical stable system. A typical use case would be a project requires qt 4.7.x, but it's not available (yet) on debian/stable. Instead of building the whole toolchain for the latest dependencies, one could use the mxe framework.

Admittingly, this might use case might not be the most important one, because the alternative doing by hand on linux is not that difficult. But it could still demonstrated the power of MXE is a multi-target cross-compiler framework.

Alois