Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] jpeg should be replaced by libjpeg-turbo

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] jpeg should be replaced by libjpeg-turbo
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:55:42 +0200

Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
> Although it would appear that the jpeg library from ijg.org is the
> standard, many people, including the many Linux distributions, use
> libjpeg-turbo instead.  I think MXE should use it too:
>
> http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org
>
> It's a drop-in replacement for jpeg.

I agree that libjpeg-turbo might be a nice addition to MXE.

However, it's only a replacement for libjpeg <= 6b. It does
not provide all features of libjpeg 8.

So I'm refraining from replacing it in MXE. However, we
could add libjpeg-turbo as a separate package, in case it
is installable side-by-side with libjpeg.

Also, I'm not sure what Linux distributions you are talking
about. I'm using Debian, which provides jpeg-6b and jpeg-8,
but I haven't seen any appearance of libjpeg-turbo, let alone
any attempts to replace the the jpeg-6b package with it.

Regards,