Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] VENDOR in host triplet (was mingw-w64 and min

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] VENDOR in host triplet (was mingw-w64 and mingw-cross-env)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:43:48 +1100

On 22 March 2012 23:10, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> One minor detail, though:
>
>> Three of those (qt, sdl, sdl_mixer) will fail even if you use the
>> canonical:
>>
>> make TARGET=i686-pc-mingw32
>>
>> since they have TARGET variables in various makefiles that relate to
>> actual build targets, and the value specified at the command line
>> overrides the makefiles.
>
> What "make" call do you mean here? Is the our main Makefile,
> or the Makefile of the respective library?

In the makefiles of the respective libraries. They'll have something like:

TARGET=libFoo.a

and calling our top level Makefile with a TARGET on the command line
causes problems. In practice, this is something we'd currently never
do since we only have one target.

> If it's our main Makefile, I find it somewhat strange that
> the "TARGET=" argument makes such a difference. I would have
> expected that only when the build rules were calling the
> library Makefile via "make -e".
>
>> We can get around this by simply prefixing
>> the target variable (MCE_TARGET in this case) or simply not worrying
>> about it since we're more likely to have a TARGETS (plural) variable
>> in the future which won't conflict with makefiles. If you change
>> TARGET in the main Makefile, they build without issue.
>
> Although we'll have a TARGETS variable, for each individual
> build there will still be a (temporary) TARGET variable.
>
> So we'll have to find a solution to this. In the worst
> case, we'll call the sub Makefiles with an empty target
> like "make TARGET=" and/or perform some SED action on
> the Makefile. But I'm sure we'll find a cleaner solution. :-)

We don't really need to do anything, neither the saved TARGET we
currently have or the future temporary TARGET in our Makefile cause an
issue, it's only when the variable is specified on the command line. I
haven't seen this in my past experiments with a TARGETS variable, and
I've just checked that *-static-* works also in my multi-target branch
against current packages.

Sorry for any noise.