Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Separate build rules (was Re: Mingw64)

From: Alois Schlögl
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Separate build rules (was Re: Mingw64)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:30:05 +0100

On 11/29/11 09:16, Zach Thibeau wrote:
On 11/29/2011 06:52 AM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
Tony Theodore schrieb:
On 28 November 2011 01:12, Martin Gerhardy<address@hidden> wrote:
does that mean, that these patches will never make it upstream?
Never is a long time, but at this stage, I'd say it's very unlikely in
this form. My original thinking was to call the x64 experimental and
support a subset of packages, gradually building up full support, then
possibly switching over to mingw-w64 for i686 as well.

This is a nice idea, but there are several issues -
I wouldn't be too pessimistic here. I do have plans to improve
mingw-cross-env to support multiple targets, without adding too
much maintainance overhead. I just haven't yet found the time
to do it. Then, we'll see how many packages we can port, making
use of all the work and experience of this nice experimental
branch.

(BTW, I also thought about adding a MacOS X cross toolchain in
  the far future. However, I don't know how much need is there,
  as you'll need proprietary stuff to get it run anyway. Also,
  as soon as Apple successfully switched to LLVM, they will almost
  certainly release fewer and fewer parts of the build toolchain
  as Free Software, probably even disallowing cross-compiling
  at all in their license (except from Apple to Apple hardware,
  I guess, so you can still develop for iOS on a MacBook).

  Anyway, there's the IMCROSSS project which already contains lots
  of useful scripts for MacOS X cross compiling, but it seems to be
  inactive for about 2.5 years: http://www.sandroid.org/imcross/

  Any thoughts on that topic are welcome. Does anyone have
  a real need for cross-compiling (with static linking) for
  MacOS X?
)

Greets,
Volker

hmm a cross compiler targeting mac would be awesome would help with porting my own project to osx, be hard to test if the end binaries would work on an osx system since I don't have a mac computer but the idea would be beneficial for people who don't have access to macs nonetheless

A cross-compiler targeting MacOS is just what I'm looking for. The MCE framework is already the greatest among the crosscompiler for win-target, and it would be awesome if MCE would support the MacOSX target, too.

   Alois