Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] new package: libxml++

From: Matthias Gehre
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] new package: libxml++
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:29:35 +0100

2011/11/25 Volker Grabsch <address@hidden>:
> Matthias Gehre schrieb:

>> > Any comments about the details?
>>
>> I'm not using llvm as a replacement for gcc, I'm just using its lib in
>> my project to implement a JIT compiler.
>
> Sorry for the nitpicking, but I'd like to make
> things clear.
>
> The src/llvm.mk file seems to build and install the
> whole LLVM project. What exactly do we get here?
>
> * A cross compiled LLVM Windows binary, i.e. a compiler
>  that runs under Windows?
>
> * An LLVM cross compiler?
>
> * Something else?
>
> If there's useless stuff being built and installed,
> can we add additional argument to the "cmake" call
> or the "make" call to avoid building too much useless
> stuff?
>
> Or is LLVM so small and build so fast that this
> would not make a difference anyway?
I link to various llvm libs, which let me generate compiled code on
the fly (JIT).
I do not use any binaries generated by that llvm.mk.

The current llvm.mk generates the libs that I need. Not installing the binaries
would not hurt me, but the gain is not visible to me either. Therefore
I did not investigate
what parts exactly could be left out.

Maybe someone would like to use the generate binaries to compile things
on win32? (for win32, it's not crosscompiler I think)

And stripping all binaries away isn't always the best thing to do. For example
the glib package does not install gspawn-helper.exe by default, which
is needed on win32
to use g_spawn_* functionality.