Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] dll hell vs lib dependency hell

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] dll hell vs lib dependency hell
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:57:26 +0100

Hi Lothar,

Lothar May wrote:
Hi,

I just updated to the latest development
release, and had to add 4 more dependencies in order to make PokerTH
link (libssh2, libnettle, libgmp, libhogweed). If it continues like
this, I'll soon be linking to half of mingw-cross-env libs :-).
Not to mention the fact that Qt depends on both openssl and gnutls..
I guess this is the price of offering so many enabled features.

I'm not blaming anyone, this was obviously a change in gnutls
dependencies. But in fact I do not need gnutls, I only link to it
because I need curl, and curl may need gnutls...
Why don't you just build curl without ssl support? That should dramatically reduce dependencies. I would suggest maintaining your own slimmed-down branch of mingw-cross-env where you disable things you don't want or need. This is what I do. One in a while I rebase it on the development branch.

Mark