Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Some Library Build Questions

From: Thomas Dineen
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Some Library Build Questions
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:16:13 -0700

Hi Volker:

Yes I read the tutorial, and correct me if I am wrong,
it seems to focus on the steps required to set up the
build to call the cross environment tools and set the
required paths.

But for building libraries are there any secret sauce
command line switches that I have missed? As
represented in the questions below?

For example I successfully built and ran a GTK example
in the cross environment which required the following:
-mms-bitfields

1) What about 32 bit versus 64 bit? This all runs 32
bit right?  Is the default (meaning no command line
switch) in this environment 32bit?

2) Some libraries have a --static command line
parameter. These libraries should all be compiled
as static? With the -static parameter?

3) Beyond doing a link to a test application, what
unix tool will tell me that I have succeeded in producing
library of the proper format for MS linking and execution?
File and objdump are my old favorites but do not
seem to be helping here.

Thomas Dineen