Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gcc install directories and libgomp build fai

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gcc install directories and libgomp build failure
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:32:16 +0200

Mark Brand schrieb:

> >I'm wondering if the --libdir hack should be checked in. [...]
>
> Just a quick update. libmikmod needs an explicit --libdir as well.
> Besides that, everything builds successfully now. See attached patch
> for the --libdir workarounds. I still don't know how clean this
> solution is.

I don't see a problem with that solution. The only drawback you
mentioned was about libiberty.a:

> >Binutils still installs <mce>/usr/lib64/libiberty.a, which differs
> >from <mce>/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libiberty.a. This is the only
> >file under <mce>/usr/lib64. I guess this is correct. Passing
> >--libdir='$(PREFIX)/lib' to binutils' configure does not change
> >this.

But as far as I know, we don't need libiberty.a anyway. This
library is only used internally by the compiler. It was intended
to be usable by other projects, but till today nobody uses it,
and there are better alternatives out there, anyway. So it doesn't
make any sense to install the static libiberty.a, I don't know why
they are doing that. The only reason it is here is because I didn't
find an easy way to suppress its installation.

Regarding your other questions: Maybe one of the related mailing
lists (MinGW, MinGW-w64, or GCC) can provide more clarity.

Greets,