Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Similarities between Mingw-cross-env, *BSD Po

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Similarities between Mingw-cross-env, *BSD Ports, and Gentoo Portage
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:05:02 +0300

On 07/10/2011 11:56 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
On 07/10/2011 04:47 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:

It is often hard enough to reproduce issues where everyone runs
exactly the same (full-featured) build. Allowing that kind of
flexibility would result in bug reports (and the need to invest
time to fix those) for many different configurations. And for what?
Just for saving a few hundred KB in the output *.exe files?

Oh, it's more than a few kB.  I was able to cut the size from over
20MB to 8MB.  This also included building everything with
"-fdata-sections -ffunction-sections" and using a patched binutils
to link with "--gc-sections" to do dead code stripping.

That's impressive, indeed. Were you able to cut that down further
using UPX?

I tried, but UPX doesn't support executables compiled with mingw.  Sadly.

Anyway, the other issues I mentioned remain. So feel free to continue
the discussion on those points. Perhaps I'm just overlooking a way
how to provide more flexibility without running into a maintenance
nightmare.

I was just curiosity. The current system works just fine, because - after all - its simplicity makes it easy to customize by anyone. You don't need to learn how portage works, or be a shell script wizard or anything.