Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt static codec dependencies

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt static codec dependencies
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:33:24 +0200

Mark Brand
tel: +31650691743

M.A. Brand Consulting
Haarlem, The Netherlands
KvK-nummer: 34248527

On 06/29/2011 09:03 AM, Mark Brand wrote:

On 06/29/2011 01:34 AM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
On 06/28/2011 07:54 PM, René Berber wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    #include<QtPlugin>
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qcncodecs)
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qjpcodecs)
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qtwcodecs)
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qkrcodecs)
Hold on, plugins only work if your application uses dynamic linking [...]
No, the above is specifically for static Qt builds.  It won't work
with a shared Qt.  See:

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/plugins-howto.html#static-plugins
Note that our tutorial points to almost the same site:

      http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#tutorial
      "Step 5c: Cross compile your Project (Qt)"

That's right. But the difference now is that QtCore itself introduces dependencies on those codec plugins, so *all* Qt applications will need to do this. This might be puzzling to people trying mingw-cross-env for the first time. I'm thinking about ways to improve the situation.

I think I have a good solution for this.

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/33a76ea753c6

The static codec plugin dependencies now come automatically with QtCore so the the user doesn't not have to worry about this for each application.

Comments are welcome.

regards,

Mark