Re: CMake 2.8.4 problems (was Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Release 2.19)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: CMake 2.8.4 problems (was Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Release 2.19)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 05:35:23 +1100

On 16 March 2011 23:23, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore schrieb:
>> Attached is an attempt at creating the toolchain file. I'm not sure of
>> the best way to create it (there must be a better way than printf),
>> when to create it, or where to put it. The packages themselves seem to
>> include the file correctly.
>>
>> This is against r1655, not the previous diff.
>
> Hello Tony,
>
> Thanks for your effort!
>
> One more nitpick: I think that this shouldn't go to the main
> Makefile. The bottom of src/gcc.mk is a better place for that.
> There, we also create the TARGET-pkg-config wrapper script.

That's where I started, but the main advantage of being in the main
Makefile is that it doesn't trigger a rebuild - very handy when
developing.

> Also, you should prefer "echo" over "printf" as the letter interprets
> special characters and escape sequences, which is what we usually
> don't want. This, again, is also what we use for the TARGET-pkg-config
> wrapper.
>
> In summary, I recommend to add something along the following lines
> to the bottom of gcc.mk:
>
>    # create the CMake toolchain file
>    (echo 'Line #1'; \
>     echo 'Line #2'; \
>     echo 'Last Line') \
>     > '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/...some.good.place...

where some.good.place is a new variable that can be easily changed.
The CMake project tends to put it's own files in
...share/cmake-<version>/ so I've gone with -

$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/share/cmake/mingw-cross-env-conf.cmake

> If you've changed the patch this way, and adjusted it to Dan's
> helpful advices, feel free to check this in before the release.
> This is a very important simplification for anyone wanting to
> add a CMake based packages to mingw-cross-env.

Okay, I've made those changes and incorporated Daniel's advice:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/5ebd455fc306