Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Broken Links

From: Daniel Stonier
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Broken Links
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:44:25 +0900

Seems like would like to both streamline the bugfixing process for
broken links - excellent!

Just copying some of the relevant points from the discussion below.

>> (http://www.willowgarage.com/pages/software/ros-platform). I've got
>> this set up now and starting to get users.
>
> That's great!

A link for you! Eros (embedded ros): http://www.ros.org/wiki/eros

Even though its not really embedded, its cross-compiling, so that came
under the embedded subproject for ros.

> B) an upload to Savannah takes up to 24 hours until it
>   is available on all mirrors.

I'm not too worried about how fast the uploads take to spread across
mirrors. 30mins or 24hrs, there is always going to be some period of
delay, and incorporating the time for the bugfix to float upwards from
discovery to mailing list to response to fix, I think that is
relatively ok. If needs be, I can apply patches in eros that can
handle things if a situation is pending for a while (as I am doing now
for libpng and postgresql). I just dont want to maintain these long
term and ideally, other users outside ros should benefit from these as
well.

> Nevertheless, feel free to provide such a mirror in case you think
> it is necessary for your project. :-)

That's not a bad idea, much better than thinking about trying to
supply binaries.

Some other thoughts...especially on being able to communicate problems
when they arise.

Is there an official package maintainer list for mingw_cross? I can't
find anything in the downloaded files, nor on the website. It would be
nice to be able to ping the maintainer along with the list as soon as
a problem comes up. Perhaps if the maintainer had an email address at
the top of the relevant .mk file?

Does mingw cross maintain an issue tracker? That would be really
useful in identifying what problems are current, what needs acting on,
what version it is relevant to etc without having to pore through the
mailing list. Especially with regards to broken link problems.

If broken link fixes are simply a matter of link location (i.e.
checksum hasn't changed), then I imagine we could shortcut these
bugfixes into the stable branch without a full test (as opposed to
those with version changes). Would this be feasible?

Cheers,
Daniel Stonier.

--
Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/