Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Use of libX11

From: Robert Funnell
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Use of libX11
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:59:10 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011, Volker Grabsch wrote:

MinGW as well as mingw-cross-env only support the build tools. We do
not support any kind of Unix emulation. ...

I don't really understand this distinction. Why are, say, gstreamer and qt considered to be build tools, but not X11?

... In particular, I don't think
it makes much sense for your project to use libX11 for the Windows
application.

I agree. It makes no sense except for the vast amount of legacy code that I have.

I recommend that you still use the Win32 API or whatever you are
currently using in the Windows version of your applications.

That would be a good idea, but I don't know how to access it outside of Visual Fortran.

Also consider using Qt. :-)

For low-level graphics stuff, OpenGL and GLUT are also a very
good, portable choices.

Again, I agree, but it's not a short-term project to change all my ugly old non-event-driven, mixed-GUI-and-logic code. I was hoping for a quick fix to get away from the antique Visual Studio and commercial Fortran compiler on my dying laptop. If X11 isn't available, I'm wondering about maybe writing a small intermediate layer for Cairo like what I have for Visual Fortran and for X11.

- Robert