Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Use of libX11

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Use of libX11
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 21:04:43 +0100

Robert Funnell schrieb:
> I have developed a fair amount of software that runs under both MS
> Windows and Unix. Graphics are done through a low-level system-dependent
> layer that is linked to either Visual Fortran routines (for Windows) or
> libX11 (for Unix). I would like to move away from MS Visual Studio and
> use Mingw instead. I now seem to have successfully used mingw-cross-env
> for the non-graphics stuff, but I'm not clear about what to do next,
> since libX11 isn't provided. Should I be looking at
> http://sites.google.com/site/xportmingw/?

MinGW as well as mingw-cross-env only support the build tools. We do
not support any kind of Unix emulation. In particular, I don't think
it makes much sense for your project to use libX11 for the Windows
application.

I recommend that you still use the Win32 API or whatever you are
currently using in the Windows version of your applications.

> (I have 10's of 1000's of lines of code that has evolved over decades,
> so converting to something like gtk is not a short-term solution,
> although it's on my to-do list.)

Also consider using Qt. :-)

For low-level graphics stuff, OpenGL and GLUT are also a very
good, portable choices.

Greets,