Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:06:51 +0100

Hi,

well, I'm also not a fan of lengthy license discussions, just wanted
to bring up this issue :-).

2011/2/21 Tony Theodore <address@hidden>:
[...]
> In the mean time, my current thinking is that compile time options are
> no substitute for diligence on the part of developers. We can't
> pre-empt all use cases or shield people from licence violations.

Hmmm of course you are right. Actually, I don't know how many such
"traps" there are, but I think OpenSSL is a special candidate...

> Qt, in particular, seems very good about only linking the libraries
> that are actually used. If you look at a minimal test program, qt is
> ~11mb, gtk ~ 31mb, and gtkmm ~74mb. I'd be interested to know what the
> difference is, but I think it indicates that not everything is being
> dragged in. If someone is using openssl instead of tls, then we can
> only assume that they've checked the licensing terms.

Still, you never know about inline code, definitions, etc., so the
only correct way imho is not to link to OpenSSL

> I'd opt to add some windows/static linking licence caveats to the
> docs, and maybe a build-time warning at the end.

Yes I think that would be fine. I'll probably produce a diff file for
use with PokerTH which I'll publish, but it will only handle the cases
for PokerTH...

Regards,
Lothar