Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:09:57 +0100

Hi,

2011/2/21 Mark Brand <address@hidden>:
>> Example: Currently, the only supported way to build PokerTH for
>> Windows is using mingw-cross-env. License of PokerTH is GPL2 or later,
>> without exceptions. While we authors are "allowed" to create a Windows
>> build that way, other users would theoretically be forced to disable
>> OpenSSL dependencies, because PokerTH links with Qt, which is built
>> with OpenSSL support included.
>
> Although I am eager avoid a licensing thread, it's not clear to me how users
> in your scenario would be required to do anything by the GPL. If there is an
> issue here, I suspect it's about distribution.

Sorry, I meant users in the sense of users who wish to change and
redistribute the software.

[...]
> What's wrong with just changing the configure options in qt.mk if you want
> to disable openssl?

There are obviously several GPL projects using mingw-cross-env
http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#used-by
and I doubt that they are aware that some dependency they are not
using may violate the GPL.

Regards,
Lothar