Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] output directory names

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] output directory names
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:12:43 +0100

On 12/08/2010 10:19 AM, Mark Brand wrote:
Hi,

For some reason, some packages do not follow the convention where a tarball "foo.tar.gz " unpacks to directory "foo". In our makefiles, we accommodate this by having a separate macro $(PKG)_SUBDIR which typically but not always has the same value as $(PKG)_FILE sans the ".tar.gz" suffix. These are designed to work without changes as the version is upgraded.

However, sometimes it's still hard to predict the output directory from the package name, version, and filename. For example, the latest sqlite comes in a tarball called "sqlite-autoconf-3070400.tar.gz" but unpacks to "sqlite-3.7.4". I know Volker has used make functions to manipulate the strings, but it is still a nuisance to maintain.

I am wondering if we should inspect the tarball file for the output directory before unpacking it. It might be done along these lines:

tar tf pkg/sqlite-autoconf-3070400.tar.gz | sed 's,^\([^/]*\).*,\1,g;' | sort | uniq

It seems like this could provide a general and permanent solution to this nuisance, but at the cost of some build time. An option might be to do this selectively just for the packages that need it. How do you feel about this?

regards,

Mark

I forgot to mention the "easy" option of just using whatever directory appears in "tmp-sqlite" after unpacking ("cd *").

There is also the complication of archives whose files are not contained in a new output directory.

Anyway, comments are welcome.

Mark