Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.17

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.17
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:56:12 +1100

On 4 December 2010 08:09, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>>
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/c13830284f24
> [...]
>> AG_GST_SET_PACKAGE_RELEASE_DATETIME_WITH_NANO
>>
>> that introduces a (stray?) dot in ./configure, but I can't trace it
>> back any further. It seems to be a recent or gstreamer-specific
>> addition to autoconf.
>
> according to the macro name, it is a gstreamer-specific macro
> for automake. So you should find its definition in some *.m4
> file. It would be great if you could have a look at that, and
> fix the issue there, at the source of the issue.

Thanks, now I know where to look. I try very hard to avoid
auto[re]conf - on my own machines I can have many versions and this
seems to be a very recent one. As a general guideline - should we
patch "configure", or should we try to autoconf?

>> The only other thing that may work is running
>> configure with bash (untested) i.e. "cd '$(1)' && bash configure",
>> though that doesn't seem much cleaner.
>
> I think this is indeed cleaner than the $(SED) command. However,
> please use "$(SHELL) configure" instead of "bash configure".
>
> In case you have to stick with the $(SED) command for some reason,
> please use "\." instead of "." in the pattern. Remember, "." means
> "any character" while "\." means "a dot".

Okay, I think I can find a cleaner solution now.

Thanks for the tips,