Re: FLAC ntohl patch (was Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Rele

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: FLAC ntohl patch (was Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.16)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 08:53:04 +0200

My first thoughts also, it seems a bit silly. They use 'ntohl' on
non-windows systems, then implement their own 'local_swap32_'
conversion for windows (while still including winsock.h??) - I imagine
based on the assumption that it will always be little-endian.

We can patch the build or patch the linking. Since bit manipulation
seems to be at the core of a compressor, I wouldn't be too confident
changing the bitreader/writer, and would rather just link in the
network lib. It's mostly too arcane for me though.
I fully agree. Linking to wsock32 is the way to go.

If we do otherwise (i.e. changing code), we shouldn't include it
until we get it included into the official project.

This takes more time than expected, but on the other hand, that's
what the pre-release times are good for. :-)
Okay, i just committed the change adding wsock32 to *pc.in:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/745fd5c11879

Tony

Hi,

Just wondering if winsock2 should be used. In other packages we generally try to use winsock2. Perhaps it's good to be consistent so applications don't end up statically linked to both versions.

Mark