[Mingw-cross-env-list] blas, cblas, lapack, suitesparse [was Re: suitesp

From: Alois Schlögl
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] blas, cblas, lapack, suitesparse [was Re: suitesparse support - help request]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:55:51 +0200

On 06/26/2010 03:10 PM, Tony Theodore wrote:
On 25 June 2010 08:02, Alois Schlögl<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to use cholmod which is part of suitesparse within
mingw-cross-env.
libsuitesparse seems to depend on metis. The attached files
   metis.mk
   suitesparse.m
are an attempt to include metis/suitesparse  support.

metis defines the function log2 which conflicts with
    /usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:145
Therefore, I tried to come up with a patch that removes log2 from metis. See
  metis-undef-log2.patch
That header is on the native system, not part of mingw-cross-env - so
the patch isn't necessary.

The metis Makefile has to be modified to use the cross build tools.
However, it's probably cleaner to build metis alongside suitesparse
since suitesparse looks for it in a non-standard location.

Suitesparse needs similar modifications, however it has linking errors
using the BLAS from GSL. CHOLMOD seems to build ok, however I doubt
it's actually working since it doesn't link with any of it's
dependencies and seems to be missing some steps.

I'm kindly asking you help with this problem, and whether you plan to
include support of suitesparse in mingw-cross-env ?
I think that depends on getting a working BLAS/LAPACK. I started
having a look at Atlas, but it seems to have a very arcane
configuration.

Yes, Atlas tries to do some performance test in order to identify the optimal configuration. Because, the final target platform is not available at built time, some workaround is needed.

See if you can use the attached as a starting point, I'm sure they
would be welcome additions once they are working.

In search to get suitesparse working, I've developed *.mk files for blas, cblas and lapack (see attachment).

I'm asking to include lapack.mk into mingw-cross-env, it provides libblas.a and liblapack.a.

cblas.mk generates libcblas.a, so this could be also included.

blas.mk generates libblas.a, like lapack. So, I'm not sure whether it makes sense to include this one (maybe someone wants to build only blas without lapack?)

The build of lapack is also helpful for building suitesparse - it finds the missing blas and lapack functions. Still, there is some metis - related issue
(undefined references to _drand48/_srand48)
Do you have an idea how to address this ?

Cheers,

   Alois