Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem

From: tek
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:29:53 +0200

On 07/12/2010 02:22 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
tek<address@hidden>  schrieb:
On 07/11/2010 02:10 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
I'm also actively using Xerces in a project, and it works flawlessly.
Please check whether your system meets the requirements:

      http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#requirements
Ok. I'm sorry, I really should have done it before posting here :( I was
effectively missing some packages, but it did not resolve the issue.
Since you are by far not the only one who missed that page:

Why did you overlook it?
This is really embarassing :/ I am inexcusable. To answer more precisely to the question: pure laziness. I guess I though that anyway, the thing would check it for me. This is so stupid.

  Is there anything in the website/docs we
can improve so that more people will have a look at the requirements
section?
Well, for stupid guys like me, maybe the tutorial should be a bit more formal about it. On the other side, I think lazy guys deserve to be hit somehow. I'm usually a rigorous guy.

I mean, it's the very first step of the tutorial. Should it be more
prominent in the tutorial?

"You probably need to install some stuff" replaced by "You must install some stuff" or something more formal like that may have made me more careful about it.

Or didn't you start with the tutorial, so we should mention it
additionally at the start page? Or somewhere else?
I did not miss it at all: I simply neglected it.

As a new user, what do you think?
What would have helped you not to miss the requirements section?
Be certain that I did not miss it. It's all my fault.

$ uname -a
Linux pulsar 2.6.30-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 15 21:08:31 UTC 2009 x86_64
GNU/Linux
What Linux distribution exactly do you use?

What do you mean exactly? I said I was using Debian in my first post. Do you need more infos about it?

What "/bin/sh" exactly do you have?
What's the output of "/bin/sh --version"?

$ /bin/sh --version
/bin/sh: Illegal option --

It seems like you did not expect it, did you?

$ ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 31 20:31 /bin/sh -> dash

Shouldn't it be bash instead? I'm not very prompt to change such things, I fear breaking some other stuff. Waiting for your suggestions.

The relevant part of your log is the following command:
     /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link i686-pc-mingw32-g++ ...

which causes some strange error messages:

     eval: 1: libtool_args+=: not found
     eval: 1: compile_command+=: not found
     eval: 1: finalize_command+=: not found

That's why I'd like to know more about the "/bin/sh" of your system.

What is it supposed to be to work? I know there are lots of shells in Linux, but in the case of /bin/sh, I guess my perception of it is wrong. I see it like a simple wrapper to the system standard shell.

Concerning OpenGL, for
instance I only had to make a dummy mesa_wgl.h as my project
cross-compilation tries to include it (from<gl.h>). I guess it's a
Windows specific header and that it may be an issue later, so I just
made note of it somewhere. It is ok for now.
Note that we don't have that issue in Mingw-cross-env. More general,
that issue shouldn't be present in any recent MinGW system.

I did not post here for my OpenGL issues, essentially because I did not investigate it enough already and I guess mingw-cross-env is not concerned about it since it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

You start to make me think I have something wrong in my system. I wonder about OpenGL in the context of Mingw. Everything I read about cross-compiling does not mention it at all (as if it should work flawlessly without problems).

I'm using OpenGL shaders (with GLSL). This is high-end hardware stuffs even today, and for the purpose of making it work with the latest possible versions of drivers, I'm using NVidia's low-level drivers. This is the only exception (with Skype) to my rule of thumb of not using proprietary stuff, the fact is that in this case, I have no reasonable choice. As far as I remember, last year I had problems with it because I was using the NVidia's way of installing those stuff. One day, I decided to use the Debian's way. It was the best decision I made about it: no more problems since.

Now for the details of cross-compiling it: at link time, I have some undefined references related to shader calls only (like glUseProgram() etc...). Besides of that, all other OpenGL calls do not seem to be a problem.

Regards.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english. I hope it's clear enough...