Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: GCC 4.5 (was URL problems)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: GCC 4.5 (was URL problems)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:12:09 +1000

On 29 April 2010 17:18, Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Building on 64 bit opensuse Linux also succeeds with your OSG and GCC 4.5
>>> patches.
>>>
>>> By the way, rumor has it that Qt 7 will use GCC 4.5.  There are also
>>> reports
>>> of success with Qt 4.6.2 and GCC 4.5 on Linux. We're on our own with Qt
>>> 4.6.2 and GCC 4.5 on MInGW, but at least it's not known not to work.
>>
>> What's your take on the sort of problems there might be (given that
>> you'll probably be the one to fix them)? The build and demos seem to
>> work ok, is there anything else we can check?
>
> I'm probably naive, but I don't expect trouble.

I did a quick diff of the qt logs, and there seems to be three differences:

1) In some places GCC4.4.0 uses -fexceptions -mthreads -frtti
                   where GCC4.5 uses -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
(without -mthreads)
2) GCC 4.5 has slightly different warning strings
3) GCC 4.5 terminates earlier with errors

>> I noticed a few weeks ago that Qt 4.7 was working with mingw-w64 [1],
>> though it doesn't mention the compiler.
>
> I haven't followed this closely, but I had seen the merge requests on
> gitorious.
>
> Apparently QtWebKit is the last nut to crack.
>
> Interesting that they mention building a working non-ds9 phonon-backed. I
> guess that would be gstreamer, right?

Not sure, I read that to mean that the sdk (or some subset) is
included with mingw-w64, so you don't need the Microsoft one.