Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_Pango in mingw-cross-env

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_Pango in mingw-cross-env
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:35:39 +0200

David Bruce <address@hidden> schrieb:
> One thing I am not quite
> clear on, however, is why the "multiple definitions" error doesn't
> show up when SDL_Pango is used in linux, where it is dynamically
> linked.  Would this sort of bug (and I am pretty sure that having
> ordinary variable definitions in a header file is a bug) only show up
> with static linking?

I'm not sure. If you really need an answer to that question,
just try it out, e.g. by building it statically under Linux.

> With respect to SDL_Pango, the programs now build successfully and run
> without crashing, but they do not actually display any text when I run
> them on my Windows test machine.  Has anyone on this list used
> mingw-cross-env's SDL_Pango with other programs?  Since this may well
> not be an issue with mingw-cross-env itself, I would ordinarily ask
> the upstream developers, but SDL_Pango doesn't seem to have any
> upstream devs.

You could search the web for that issue. Maybe someone else
encountered a similar problem, and documented a workaround. Or
some distro (Debian, Fedora, etc.) provides a patch for SDL_Pango
that fixes the issue.

> Along those lines, I see that there are some test *.c files in
> mingw-cross-env for some of the SDL libs.  What is the recommended way
> to compile these for testing purposes?  Should the test programs do
> something like display "Hello World" or make a sound, rather than just
> see if the initialization function works and then exit?

The test programs should be minimal and should be designed to
work with any future version of the library.

However, we don't need to take the minimum to an extreme.
For instance, when testing SDL_Pango, it would indeed be
sensible to open a window and put some text on it, using
SDL_Pango, of course.

Making a sound is sensible for testing packages like SDL_mixer.
However, with sounds (and graphics, for that matter) we have
to be careful. The sound/graphics file should be very small,
and should be embedded into the executable if possible.

Alternatively, the test program could take an argument such
that it can be called like this:

    wine ./usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/test-sdl_mixer.exe .../mysound.ogg

In that case, we wouldn't have to provide a sound/graphics
file.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR