Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Question about gcc behaviour

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Question about gcc behaviour
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:50:48 +0200

Kārlis Repsons <address@hidden> schrieb:
> This is somewhat offtopic, but isn't long, I want to confirm: when given
> -lQtCore, g++ can either include it into the target application or it can
> link
> target application to it depending on if it's libQtCore.a or libQtCore.so and
> lib format is the only factor, which makes the difference?

You are talking about static vs. shared libraries.

This is a big and important difference, much more than just endings
of filenames. And you can't easily convert one into another.

The mingw-cross-env project specializes on static libraries, which
is quite unusual compared to the "rest of the world", but has also
some interesting advantages, especially for porting applications to
the Windows platform.

For more information, please have a look at the following article
which I posted to this mailing list some time ago:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2009-09/msg00025.html

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR