Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Project website design

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Project website design
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:28:37 +0200

Nikos Chantziaras <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I changed a few things, and also got rid of the single-document style.
> I use an shtml file for every section and serve them with SSI
> (server-side includes) which works in every browser since it's done by
> the web server.
[...]
> Of course this approach won't work for offline viewing.  SSI means a
> web-server needs to serve the documents.  Just opening them locally in a
> browser won't work.

That's exactly why I decided not to use SSI. The unity of documentation
and website means that these should be readable offline.

So I asked myself: What is more likely? That people use a decent
browser with CSS support? Or that people have a local web server
running?

I decided for the former, but of course I could be wrong. ;-)

Also, note that the CSS menu does _not_ irritate text browsers.
In a text browser, this menu simply looks like a table of contents.
(Well, any menu is some kind of TOC, isn't it?)

So I'm really only working against ancient graphical browsers.
And for security reasons, those shouldn't be used anyway.

Or, did you have some trouble looking at the mingw-cross-env
site using a modern browser? If so, please give me a hint. It
would be important for me to know about that issue.

> This also allows to get rid of the "margin-bottom: 100%;" setting in
> ".section", as well as using "width: 60%;" instead of making the whole
> page fixed-width.

Yeah, those two compromises were not that clean, but they didn't
cause any trouble yet, and I didn't find any better alternative
yet.

> >BTW, what projects are you talking about? I'm curious to see the
> >results.
>
> It's this here:
>
>   http://qtads.sourceforge.net

Your site looks quite nice with the bigger width and the different
colors. I'm glad my site was of some help for you.

> >Just in case you have an acknowledgement section or similar, you
> >should acknowledge the mingw-cross-env project rather than me in
> >person, i.e. something like that: "Web design inspired by the
> >But this is no requirement, of course. Feel free to reuse the
> >HTML code without such a notice.
>
> I've put an entry there, pointing to mingw-cross-env.  I'm always happy
> to give credit where credit is due :)

Thanks!

> >I'd also like to link back to your project site if it is somehow
> >connected to mingw-cross-env. For instance, if you create the
> >win32 version of that project using mingw-cross-env, I'd be happy
> >to get a quick note.
>
> That project is pretty much the reason I installed mingw-cross-dev, but
> unfortunately the application does not work when built with it:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2010-04/msg00076.html
>
> So, nope.  No quick note, at least for now :P

Okay, please tell me if anything changes. In particular, watch out
when we solve the "pthreads issue". You're not the only one affected
by that, and when it's solved, your application should build and run
fine with mingw-cross-env.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR