Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_mixer in mingw-cross-env crashing

From: David Bruce
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_mixer in mingw-cross-env crashing
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:50:10 -0600

Hi Volker,

A little follow-up:

1. (SDL_mixer issue)
>> Should I post this to the SDL mailing list?

I did that, without a solution so far.  I did learn that starting with
SDL-mixer 1.2.10,
the library needs to be initialized with Mix_Init() before calling any
other functions, but adding that call did not fix the problem -
tuxtype still silently terminates at the first call to
Mix_OpenAudio().  I wrote a small test program based on Automake's
amhello and invited the SDL folks to take a look, if desired.  It is
at:

git://git.debian.org/git/tux4kids/amhello

2. ICONV_CONST issue when trying to build tuxmath - tuxmath has part
of GNU's linebreak library copied into it, and linebreak expects
ICONV_CONST to be defined somewhere.  I found that someone else worked
around this by adding "#define ICONV_CONST const" somewhere in their
program, and this seems to work for tuxmath.

3. pkgconfig can't seem to find SDL_net, which is used by tuxmath but
not (yet) by tuxtype. I added SDL_net to the code you kindly provided:

AS_IF([test "x$native_win32" = xyes],
dnl What we do for mingw crossbuild:
[
        # Check for SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_net, and SDL_Pango
        [echo "Mingw crossbuild detected - using pkgconfig to check for SDL
libs:"],
        PKG_CHECK_MODULES([SDL], [sdl >= 1.2.0 SDL_image SDL_mixer SDL_net
SDL_Pango])
        CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $SDL_CFLAGS"
        LIBS="$LIBS $SDL_LIBS"
],

and configure fails with this error:

Mingw crossbuild detected - using pkgconfig to check for SDL libs:,
checking for SDL... configure: error: Package requirements (sdl >=
1.2.0 SDL_image SDL_mixer SDL_net SDL_Pango) were not met:

No package 'SDL_net' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables SDL_CFLAGS
and SDL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

make: *** [config.status] Error 1
address@hidden:/usr/local/src/git/tuxmath/buildw32$

If I take out the check for SDL_net, configure succeeds but the
program ultimately fails to build with some libtool-generated errors
(tuxmath uses libtool, but tuxtype does not).  I guess I can try to
sort those out later.

Also, regarding the git repositories for tux4kids, the Alioth site
(http://alioth.debian.org/tux4kids) gives some autogenerated
instructions that assume a single "tux4kids.git" repo for the entire
project.  I guess I need to check with the Alioth admins to see if
that can be fixed.  Our public-facing site
(http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org) gives correct URLs for the various
repositories.

Thanks,

David