Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] zlib

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] zlib
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:41:12 +0100

Marcel Wysocki <address@hidden> schrieb:
> i noticed the zlib version we use is 1.2.3
> which is from 2005
> there is a more current version 1.2.3.4
>
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib_1.2.3.4.dfsg.orig.tar.gz
>
> i honestly dont know where it originates from
> but all major linux distributions use this version.

I did some investigation and contacted the Debian maintainer
as well as the zlib authors. The zlib-1.2.3.x are beta
versions and avaiable at: http://zlib.net/current/beta/

> so its well-tested
> it also includes a billion fixes according the the
> changelog.

That's true, but they are still beta versions. And I was
told that they plan the next zlib-1.2.4 release within
a month or two. So I think there is no need to switch
to the beta versions. Let's wait for the release.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR