Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL build missing DX Headers

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL build missing DX Headers
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:57:20 +0100

Gregory Smith <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Volker Grabsch wrote:
>
> >This is very strange and shouldn't happen. Isn't there any
> >"clean" way to do this?
>
> directx-devel.tar.gz includes older versions of libdsound.a, libddraw.a,
> etc. Untarring it with the -k flag should preserve the w32-api libs, I
> think, while getting us the handful of header files that are, for whatever
> reasons, missing from w32-api.

Note that this is not a question of untarring. In mingw-cross-env,
each package, source and binary, is first unpacked into a separate
temporary directory. It is then built (if necessary) and installed.
Please have a look at src/w32api.mk or src/mingwrt.mk to get an idea.

On the other hand, it is quite strange that "directx-devel" contains
such a mix between w32api and directx development libraries. We should
be able get the directx files directly.

An interesting alternative might be the "dx80_mgw.zip" available at
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/wip.html

Or we download the DirectX SDK directly from its source:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

and convert it as explained in:
http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge/default.asp?p=DirectX%20Development%20Using%20DevCpp

> >Feel free to play around with it, test it, and to propose a
> >patch. I'd be happy to include it into mingw-cross-env.
>
> I will give it a try!

Please try to find a simple, working solution. I'd be happy to create
a "src/directx.mk" that provides DirectX support in mingw-cross-env.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR