[Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Mingw-w64 thoughts (was OSX 10.6 workarounds)

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Mingw-w64 thoughts (was OSX 10.6 workarounds)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:09:46 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> 2009/11/12 Volker Grabsch <address@hidden>:
> >
> >    configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
>
> I get the same error here and cant find any clues to get started.

Maybe it's a good idea to contact the TDM project. After all,
they should have the same problem with their patches. On the
other hand, they released it, so maybe they are successful by
doing something differently.

Currently, I don't have the time to do that (working on my
diploma thesis), but feel free to contact them if you find
some time for it.

> You pointed out mingw-64 a few months ago, and I think I'll have a
> look at that instead. The wiki page looks very promising.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Cross%20Win32%20and%20Win64%20compiler
>
> Have you done any work on it?

No, not yet.

But I agree that it looks promising, especially since their
compiler should be able to create win32 as well as win64
binaries.

> Is is part of the roadmap? Is there much
> interest in win64 applications at the moment?

Technically, the answer to both questions is: Yes.
I already considered win64, and I already got requests
from mingw-cross-env users regarding win64.

However, this Question has also political implications
which I'll cover in a separate mail, because I don't
want these questions to be confused with technical
questions about GCC and MinGW.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR