Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Linking error with SDL_image

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Linking error with SDL_image
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:18:48 +0100

Pierre-Henri Trivier <address@hidden> schrieb:
>  actually I kept fooling around with the options and just yesterday I ended
> up with the set of libs you gave me.

I'm glad you were finally able to solve your problem.

> Just a question : when cross-building sdl_image, would it be possible to
> customize the build to remove the support for tiff and jpeg ?

Mingw-cross-env tries to be feature complete, because we don't have
the manpower to test all possible combinations of activated/deactivated
libraries.

In addition, the main goal of static linking is the simpler handling
and deployment. It is _not_ about reducing the code size to a minimum,
although that's a welcome side-effect.

Having that said, feel free to change the src/sdl_image.mk according
to your needs. Just remove or change the corresponding ./configure
options. But be aware that you're on your own if you do that.

If you really care about minimizing your code size, you should use
libpng directly, without sdl_image. In addition, you could use UPX
to compress your executable. You might also change the compiler
options of your code and the libraries from "-O2" to "-Os". Also,
you might want to use Forth instead of C/C++. ;-)

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR