[Mingw-cross-env-list] Theora doesn't finish the compile process cleanly

From: Thanos Kyritsis
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Theora doesn't finish the compile process cleanly
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:49:24 +0300

Hello,

I'd like to restate a problem that I put on Freshmeat comments (I hadn't
seen the mailing list url link because I was searching it on the project
website, not the freshmeat page. I also tried to take a look to this
list's archives but they cannot be accessed, the gnu.org/nongnu.org
server does a url rewrite there and then returns with nothing).

I'm compiling the MinGW cross compiling environment on a Slackware 13.0.

Unfortunatelly, I haven't kept the 2.7 output in order to paste it here,
but I had the same problem as in 2.6, which is this:

When the compile process reaches the theora project, of course having
compiled all the previous packages successfully, theora gets built
successfully, but during it's make install phase, I think it tries to
execute something that it just compiled, I think it is the vp3huff
executable, it tries to do this:

./vp3huff > vp3huff.tex

I say "I think" because I didn't pay much attention when I compiled 2.7,
I kind of expected theora to behave the same in 2.7 as it did in 2.6.
And so it did. Mingw-cross-env's make stopped exactly after trying to
make install theora, I confirmed with a quick scroll up in the console,
and then went on taking theora out of the way (rm src/theora.mk and
rerun make) in order to at least compile the packages that were after
theora. The 2.6 output is this:

Making install in spec
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/user/src/mingw_cross_env-2.6/tmp-
theora/libtheora-1.0/doc/spec'
fig2dev -L pdf -p 0 pic-frame.fig pic-frame.pdf
fig2dev -L pdf -p 0 hilbert-mb.fig hilbert-mb.pdf
[etc .. etc...]
fig2dev -L pdf -p 0 pic_odd_even.fig pic_odd_even.pdf
i586-mingw32msvc-gcc -Wall -Wno-parentheses -O3 -fforce-addr -fomit-
frame-pointer -finline-functions -funroll-loops vp3huff.c -o vp3huff
./vp3huff > vp3huff.tex
/bin/sh: ./vp3huff: cannot execute binary file
make[3]: *** [vp3huff.tex] Error 126
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/user/src/mingw_cross_env-2.6/tmp-
theora/libtheora-1.0/doc/spec'
[etc etc other errors]

It's kind of logical for the whole process to become troubled at this
point, since vp3huff is of course PE32 executable for MS Windows
(console) Intel 80386 32-bit, it cannot be run on Linux/Unix, so
something should be done about it here, either instruct theora.mk to
configure theora without documentation, or something like that (I
haven't dug deeper into the problem).

Other than that, I think it partially installed some files from
libtheora, but it doesn't go clean and perhaps other files are missing
because it didn't have the chance to go beyond doc/spec target :-/

To be honest, I don't really need theora on my cross compiling
environment, I just felt the need to submit this kind of bug report. It
triggers me since I just do a quick download of mingw-cross-env and
untar && make && go for coffee && expect it to just do it's job :) But
it just exits uncleanly :)

--
Thanos Kyritsis <djart at linux.gr>

- What's your ONE purpose in life ?