microdc-devel

Re: [microdc-devel] New microdc user interface

From: Jakub Jankowski
Subject: Re: [microdc-devel] New microdc user interface
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:14:42 +0200 (CEST)

On 2005-07-24, Oskar Liljeblad wrote:

On Monday, July 18, 2005 at 15:46, Megizo Pet wrote:

This interface is only my suggestion.

Servers: http://foto.apollo.lv/files/megizo/original/44736.jpg
Transfers: http://foto.apollo.lv/files/megizo/original/44737.jpg
Multi-source transfer details:
http://foto.apollo.lv/files/megizo/original/44735.jpg

Looks pretty good to me! What you suggest is a "curses-like"
user interface, no? I would like this as well. For example,
we could add a command "show transfers" to enter a mode
where the transfers are shown. Then I guess you could press
"q" to exit from that mode. That would be a good start -
eventually the interface could be 100% curses and 0% readline.

I suggest going further: why not use an interface that most cli-based IRC clients (like Irssi/BitchX/Epic) or other IM clients (ekg/ekg2) use, with ncurses 'windows'? We could have a separate window for transfers, current nicklist visible all the time, and so on. This kind of UI is 'natural' if you want to support connections to multiple hubs (if ever).

It shouldn't be too hard to implement, but still it requires
some thinking. We'll see in the future.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement, because there are some working implementations already. No need to reinvent the wheel. That's how opensource works. We can see how it's done in other projects, and if we know what problems it causes, we could try to improve it (or implement some parts in a different manner).

Of course that's quite a distant future. :-)

--
Jakub Jankowski     | http://s.atn.pl/         | Real programmers don't
Sysadm, programmer  | http://www.slackware.pl/ | comment their code.