Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [mapnik] Issue with long names

From: Dane Springmeyer
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [mapnik] Issue with long names
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:20:05 -0400

David,

All great ideas. Since I'm traveling it will take me till next week to comment
on all of them. In the meantime also give consideration to taking another
approach: what if Mapnik could provide a list of all street names placed and
rendered in a given tile so that your street index generation could
intelligently drop the ones that were never placed? I realize the issues is not
just the mismatch between the index listing and the rendered labels but also
that you want as many labeled as possible. But it still might be useful since
even after many potential improvements to fit more labels I can imagine
potential mismatches. Without metadata about the exact names actually placed by
Mapnik I cannot imagine a perfect solution.

Dane