man-db-devel

Re: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:07:59 +0100

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 01:00:11PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 04:46:43PM -0500, Francis Giraldeau wrote:
> > Le 2013-12-06 01:48, Kari Pahula a écrit :
> > > None of that code has yet made its way to mandb.
> >
> > It's a good start, let's try make it ready.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm actually slightly less interested in the patch
> cleanup.  What I'm more interested in, and the reason I hadn't just gone
> ahead and dealt with Kari's patch directly (sorry for not explaining
> this!) is a more detailed analysis of Kari's comment in the bug report:
> "there's something off with the code and it gives false positives on
> differing mtimes".  What exactly is going on here?
>
> I would really be more comfortable continuing to use mtimes if possible;
> it is the more appropriate stat field to use, as it describes changes to
> the file's contents rather than its metadata.  Using ctimes seems to me
> to be a mistake.

Kari, would you mind giving current git master a try (see
http://man-db.nongnu.org/development.html)?  I've made some substantial
changes recently which are relevant to all this, in particular switching
everything over to use high-precision timestamps.  The database format
version changes as a result so I'd suggest running this only on test
copies of your manual databases, not on /usr/share/man etc. directly, as
it will be incompatible with your system's man-db programs.

I'm hoping that the general cleanup here will have made your original
bug go away.  If not, I'm still interested in a more detailed analysis
of exactly what is going wrong here.

Thanks,