man-db-devel

Re: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling

From: Kari Pahula
Subject: Re: [Man-db-devel] Database update profiling
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 08:48:02 +0200

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 03:18:29PM -0500, Francis Giraldeau wrote:
> Hi! I did some tracing on apt-get, and one of the slow step of the
> installation of a package on Debian/Ubuntu is the update of man database
> with mandb.

I did some work exploring mandb's performance a year ago and managed
to save some time on updates.  See

None of that code has yet made its way to mandb.

> I would be glad to help to improve the performance of mandb. For
> instance, is there any documentation on how to setup a development
> environment? I do find it a bit cumbersome to launch gdb on mandb as
> root ;-)

mandb updates the user database when run as a regular user and I've
found that quite sufficient for testing out things.  Copying
/usr/share/man to a user location may help too, for things like
checking how mandb acts on updated file timestamps.