Re: Case-sensitivity in DOS filenames

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Case-sensitivity in DOS filenames
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:29:21 +0200

> From: "Andy Voelkel" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:23:54 -0800
>
> What I can't figure out is why anyone would want to compile a version of
> GNU make for Windows that _is_ case sensitive.

Because Unix is case-sensitive, and therefore there could be, even on
Windows, a file foo and a phony target FOO, which are not the same
(yes, I have real-life examples of this).

In other words, you might want case-sensitivity when you work on
packages ported from Unix.

As to stupid tools that munge letter-case, I have one simple advice:
don't use them.