mailman

Re: groff Bounce List?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: groff Bounce List?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 10:52:30 -0600

Jeff Conrad wrote:
> A Google search suggests that Outlook (and some other clients) "on
> behalf of" whenever the message contains a 'Sender' header, and that
> this is nothing new.

That sounds familiar now.  I knew I had seen that before.

> I probably would have paid little attention to this had the "from" not
> also contained "groff- address@hidden"; clearly, I
> have a lot to learn about how mailers work.

We are all always learning! :-)

> And if my post hadn't disappeared, I probably wouldn't have noticed any
> of this.

Your address is not moderated on the groff mailing list.  Mail from
you should go through without delay.

However new postings from people who are not known previously are held
for moderation.  Spammers like to subscribe and then post spam.
Therefore we moderate all new posters regardless of subscription
status.  New people are reviewed upon their initial contact message.
Then they are whitelisted.  Subsequent messages are passed through
without delay.

There are many layers of anti-spam.  Karl and I have access to the
listhelper layers.  Plus some access to the lists.gnu.org layer.
There is an additional layer on eggs.gnu.org (the incoming MX relay
system) that we do not have access to but the FSF admins do.  It has
grown rather organically over the years and is now rather complex but
that is what it takes to operate 1,500+ very active mailing lists.  So
when a message goes missing it can take some peeling of the onion in
order to figure out at what layer it has been lost.

> Hope this helps if someone else has the same question.

Thanks! :-)

Bob