Re: How to install m4...

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: How to install m4...
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 09:28:07 -0700

On 02/15/2015 11:03 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> I need to install the m4 gnu package because I am planning to install
> autoconf. However, I have no idea how to install it. I did read the
> instructions, but I don't know where to compile the package. Do I compile it
> in vim? Do I compile it in a C++ environment? I am confused.

Like most GNU projects, you merely unpack the tarball, change directory
into the just-unpacked sources, run './configure', run 'make', then as a
superuser run 'make install'.

> By the way, I am using Windows 8.1, if that’s of any help.

Oh. You're on a system that probably doesn't include many POSIX tools by
default.  In that case, I instead recommend that you download a
pre-built version of m4 for your platform.  I recommend going to
cygwin.com and using the software there; that includes a pre-built
version of both 'm4' and 'autoconf', along with other tools you will
need to be able to compile software while in Windows.  No need to go
through the pain of bootstrapping your system when you can already get
things ready to use.