GNU M4 capabilities...

From: Jakob Viketoft
Subject: GNU M4 capabilities...
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 10:04:15 +0100

Hello!

Gary and others,

I'm sorry if I'm asking you about an often-asked question or a well-known non-supported feature, but I just would like small clarification on M4's capabilities. I couldn't find any information about this in either M4's manual or on google.

Do M4 support conditional blocks, like #ifdef, #else #endif etc? This seems to me as the minimum level of support wanted from any preprocessor, but what I understand of the M4 manual, this can only be done on a line level (ifdef(...)). Am I correct or can you use conditional blocks in your code when preprocessing with M4?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

        /Jakob